Summer in Michigan is a gift – a welcome blessing after a hard winter. It’s warm days and cool nights. Early sunrises that inspire and late evening sunsets that give way to star studded skies. This short, fleeting season is cherished. We pack all that we can into every moment, with each day offering endless possibilities for new adventures or peaceful, lazy lake days.
As we do with every season, we’ll savor these months. We’ll soak up each experience on our bucket list and create memories, then replay them as the summer sunshine gives way to Fall color. Hopefully our version of the best way to experience a Ludington Summer inspires you to get out there and create your own adventure!
Our Favorite Ways to “Summer”
- Reel In Your Best Catch • With over 40 inland lakes and 2,000 miles (!!!) of trout streams right here in Mason County, chances are pretty good you’re going home with a cooler full of fresh fish! If fishing in deeper waters is more your thing, Charter a boat and head for Lake Michigan. There you’ll find the water depth, great off-shore structure, warm shoal waters and natural river mouths create a great habitat for trout and salmon. This Summer as the temps climb, you’ll find steelhead, salmon and yellow perch ready to take the bait!
- Climb the #1 Lighthouse to Visit in Michigan • In June, 2018, the North Breakwater Light at Stearns Park was given this title, and The Weather Channel voted it “one of the top 10 lighthouses to see in the U.S.”! Walk along the breakwall, then climb to the top for a whole new view of the harbor and shoreline! Love lighthouses? Just North of Stearns Park, situated in Ludington State Park is Big Sable Point Lighthouse – another ‘must see’ while you’re visiting.
- Savor a Scoop • It’s the quintessential summer treat: a heaping scoop of ice cream atop your favorite type of cone (make ours a waffle cone!). Walk a few blocks down the avenue to House of Flavors and enjoy a scoop, cone or sundae. • If creating your own sundae with nearly limitless topping options is your idea of heaven, visit Krave Frozen Yogurt & Candy Shoppe in downtown Ludington. • Take a short drive and visit Country Dairy where they pride themselves on farm fresh and Michigan made local milk, ice cream and cheese. Meet the herd on a farm tour then stop into the market for all the fresh ice cream you can handle!
- Hike a dune (or scale one in a dune buggy) • Declared the most popular state park in all of Michigan and just 12 minutes out our front door, Ludington State Park offers 5,300 acres of natural resources and unmatched beauty. The dunes within the state park are worth the climb, as the views of the Lake and surrounding areas are stunning! • Drive 20 minutes south to Silver Lake Sand Dunes to see one of the largest deposits of living dunes on the shores of Lake Michigan, where you can hike up on your own, or rent a dune buggy!
- Say ‘Cheers’ to Summer with a local craft brew • With three breweries and the infamous Mitten Bar (voted one of the best beer bars in America) all minutes away from each other, you can easily spend an afternoon tasting your way through Ludington and other “brewed in Michigan” flights. Click here for more details on local breweries and craft brew stops in Ludington.
- Dine al fresco • Now that the warmer temps are here, we enjoy serving guests our two-course breakfast on the patio each morning. There’s no reason lunch and dinner can’t be enjoyed outdoors as well! Whether you build your own picnic at Biercamp Market or order take-out from The Q Smokehouse, Ludington Bay Brewing or from one of the many local Ludington restaurants, take advantage of beautiful summer days and evenings and dine outside!
- Become a History Buff • Hit the cultural trails throughout Mason County including The Agricultural Trail, The Barn Quilt Trail, The Sculpture Trail and The Lumber Heritage Trail and become an expert on Ludington’s history and culture!
- Be a beach bum • Ludington’s known for its 28 miles of pristine beaches along the coast, so there’s plenty of space to stake your own sandy spot with a gorgeous waterfront view. Your challenge will be choosing where you want to spend the afternoon! • Head for Stearns Park to enjoy free parking, plenty of beach plus grassy area with picnic tables and grills, and of course – views of the North Breakwater Light. • Or you could drive along 116 to Ludington State Park and enjoy nearly 7 miles of beautiful beachfront along Lake Michigan’s shoreline and around Hamlin Lake. • You could also visit Buttersville Park which is known for it’s stunning views thanks to the bluff it’s situated on between Lake Michigan and Pere Marquette Lake. There you’ll find steps down from the bluff leading to the beach. • For more great views, head for Summit Park (just past the Ludington Pumped Storage Plant) where you can enjoy a picnic overlooking Lake Michigan.
- Take in the beauty of a Lake Michigan sunset • Welcome to the sunset coast – sunsets in Ludington are stunning and not to be missed! Pausing to stop and watch the sun sink below the horizon allows time for reflection on the day’s events, and offers a moment to lock the memories away so you can recall them after you’ve returned home. Head for the ideal spot – Ludington’s North Breakwater Light Pier, a bench or spot on the beach at Stearns Park, view it from atop a dune at Ludington State Park, or while canoeing on Hamlin Lake – and enjoy! Visit here to check-out sunset times so you can plan your schedule accordingly.
- Enjoy a beach bonfire • On June 27, July 25 and August 22, 2019 head to Stearns Park from 8-10PM for a sunset beach bonfire and live music. Seriously…it doesn’t get any more “summer” than this!
Plan Your Stay – Join us at our Ludington, MI Bed & Breakfast
When you visit Ludington, consider staying with us at The Lamplighter Bed & Breakfast. Our cozy bed and breakfast in Ludington, Michigan is loaded with old world charm and is walking distance to shops, restaurants and miles of Lake Michigan beachfront! We have 5 rooms that offer a variety of amenities based on your needs, and also provide a full, hearty breakfast each morning. Give us a call or drop us a note and begin planning your visit to Ludington, Michigan today!