Michigan and Fall go together like Ernie Harwell and the Tigers, the Great Lakes and fishing, and Maize and Blue (or Green and White). Marked by the start of school and college football season, it continues with the arrival of apples at farm stands, cooler nights and brisk mornings. But it’s the Fall color and the changing of the trees that make it official — when the mighty Oaks and Maples, Aspens and Hickories stand proud, dressed in vibrant colors. The beauty of this season – just before the release of leaves and the final harvest – stops us in our tracks to admire, wonder and enjoy. We all become professional photographers as we stop to grab the ‘perfect shot’ at the state park, in our front yards, or along a back road.
Just as we did with Summer, we’ll savor Fall and the transition from one precious season to the next. We’ve put together some thoughts on how you might want to spend a Fall day in Ludington. As always, we hope it’ll inspire you to go exploring and make your own memories!
- Pick a Bushel • Jonamacs, Gala, Honeycrisp and Cortlands – these are just a few of our favorite Michigan apples! Visit Christofferson Farms or Kistlercrest Farms to walk the orchards and pick straight from the source.
- Join the Leaf Peepers • I’m a Michigan girl, born and raised, and am thankful to have finally found my way back to the Mitten. If there’s anything I took for granted growing up here, it was Fall and the color show the trees put on just before the leaves drop. Michigan in the Fall is stunning – join the leaf peepers and plan your route for mid-late October to experience peak color in our area. Stay local and map your color tour around Mason County or venture North to take in the scenic Fall views along beautiful M22.
- Take a Hike • Just 12 minutes out our front door are 18 miles of trails in scenic Ludington State Park. Hike along the Skyline Trail and enjoy colorful views in the treetops. Looking for a longer hike? Try the Logging Trail, which winds you through sand dune valleys and a forest filled with the colors of Fall. Get off the beaten path and into the Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness to enjoy 14 ½ miles of hiking trails in a less populated setting.
- Be a Kid Again • Get lost in a corn maze and visit a pumpkin patch at Lewis Farm Market or Orchard Market.
- Attend a Festival • Whether it’s Octoberfest in Ludington that kicks off Fall festival season, Ocktoberfest in Pentwater or Autumn Day at Historic White Pine Village, there’s something to experience nearly every weekend in the Fall…
- Fall in #yarnlove • What’s your next knitting or crochet project going to be – a scarf? Sweater? Shawl? Don’t blame us if you leave with four new projects and bags of yarn, because you’ll be inspired when you visit Nautical Yarn!
- Join Team Pumpkin Spice • Some embrace it and others… not so much. Whatever coffee or tea beverage you crave, you’ll find it at Red Rooster, HumaniTea or the Book Mark along with cozy, comfy seating so you can read, chat and just enjoy the moment.
- Go Antiquing • If your idea of a day well spent includes wandering antique malls searching for the next great find, you’re in luck! Spend the day visiting towns throughout Mason, Oceana and Manistee counties on the hunt for great antiques and collectibles.
- Tour a Vineyard…or Ten • Spend a day visiting vineyards and wineries in the Ludington area and after breakfast the next morning, head North to tour and taste your way through wineries in Suttons Bay, Old Mission Peninsula and the Traverse City area. Less than two hours from our front door, you’ll be back in time to enjoy dinner in Ludington at Table 14 or Blu Moon Bistro.
- Sample Seasonal Brews • Check out Ludington Bay Brewing Company and Jamesport Brewery downtown for your favorite fall pints or to build your own flight. Stop at the infamous Mitten Bar: A Michigan Ideology (recently voted one of the 31 Best Beer Bars in America) to taste a variety of Michigan brewed beers (order some tacos, too)! From there, head to the barn and fill a growler at Starving Artist Brewing. Cheers!
Join Us For Your Fall Adventure
We Invite You To Our Ludington, Michigan Bed and Breakfast
As you plan your Fall Getaway along the West Coast of Michigan, consider staying at our cozy bed and breakfast in Ludington, Michigan. Centrally located along the avenue, we’re walking distance to Jamesport Brewery, Ludington Bay Brewing and The Mitten Bar, plus many other shops, restaurants and miles of Lake Michigan beachfront (or snow covered trails)! We have 5 rooms that offer a variety of amenities based on your needs, and also provide a full, hearty breakfast each morning. Give us a call or reserve your room online and begin planning your visit to Ludington, Michigan today!