This is a post we never thought we’d write. It’s tough to find the right words that convey our concern, sympathy and thanks for all the lives, workers, families and businesses that have been affected by this pandemic. Thank you to those working tirelessly on the front lines!
In the past weeks, we’ve taken a lot of calls and responded to many emails from guests. Over and over we’ve heard “we hope you’re ok! How are you holding up? How’s the business?” and we appreciate that, friends – thank you! We’re doing well! Rather than panic, we made an effort to look at this time as an unexpected “sabbatical”. We welcomed this slower pace, and have enjoyed even more family time than we’ve been able to in the past, but wish it wasn’t under these circumstances.
We’ve stripped wallpaper, painted, ripped up carpeting, re-finished floors, and updated and refreshed spaces around the inn, including the new Carpenter Room. We have deep cleaned carpets, scrubbed, disinfected and cleaned some more and prepared to operate under new guidelines.
A New Normal
Due to the COVID-19 health crisis, until further notice, we’ve adopted the following best practices at The Lamplighter Bed & Breakfast:
- In the past, breakfast was served alongside other guests in our dining room, or outside on the patio and/or deck. We will now offer private dining that meets proper social distancing guidelines. We’re offering private seating in our dining, parlor or library area (or outside on the deck/patio), based upon occupancy. If you prefer, we can also provide a to-go breakfast.
- Masks are worn in our kitchen as we prep/bake/cook breakfast and when we drop off/deliver breakfast to you. All food is covered/wrapped as it leaves our kitchen and delivered to you.
- We have maintained our exceptionally high cleanliness standards (we are inspected and approved by the Michigan Bed & Breakfast Association), and are adopting steps to sanitize spaces and items as recommended by the CDC using EPA-approved disinfectants.
- We will not enter guest rooms during any stay to complete refreshes; however, we’re happy to arrange pick-up/drop-off of fresh towels, garbage retrieval, etc.
- Throughout the day, we’ll be sanitizing doorknobs, handles, railings, light switches, surfaces and remotes.
- We will practice social distancing at all times, including during check-ins, and will also wear masks so long as the usage of them is recommended by the CDC and local health authorities.
- If given at least 48 hours’ notice, we can accommodate self-check-in requests to minimize contact.
- We’ve always offered wine glasses and water glasses in-rooms. Now, we’ll be including coffee mugs.
- We will continue to offer complimentary water, soda, coffee and tea, as well as ice; however, service stations will be updated with the latest safety precautions. We will also continue to offer baked goods in the afternoons and evenings – they’ll be individually wrapped and covered.
- For those that have stayed with us in the past, you know that occasionally our young sons make an appearance after breakfast. Given the current situation, we will minimize their contact with guests as much as possible. We hope you understand!
We are taking many precautions to maintain good health among our guests, as well as our own family, which includes two young children. We simply request that if you are feeling ill or have a fever, you cancel your getaway and stay home! We are happy to re-schedule for a later date, or offer a full credit-voucher (with no expiration).
Hope Is Greater Than Fear
We continue to live by this belief… but we DO acknowledge that it takes awhile to adapt! It has certainly taken us some time to shift our mindset and prepare to host you all under these drastically different guidelines, but we choose to evolve so that we can give you a place to retreat, rest and recuperate. We look forward to the day we can greet you with handshakes and hugs!
If you’re not ready to travel yet, we understand – we’ll be here for you when you are. Until next time – may you be blessed. Peace, friends!